As stipulated in the Government Instrument; the roles and functions of the Ministry of Works are:
• Formulation of policies, plans and strategies towards development, upgrading and Management of the Construction Sector covering short, medium and long term.
• Setting standards and Monitoring of quality compliance in Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads, Ferries, Bridges, and Government Buildings.
• Monitoring & Supervision of Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads, Ferries, Bridges, and Government Buildings.
• Supervision and Monitoring of preliminary and detailed designs of Trunk and Regional Roads.
• Plants, Ferries, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning systems, and electronic equipments.
• Monitoring, supervision and coordination of various activities of Agencies/Parastatals, Boards and Institutions which are under the Ministry of Works.
• Sourcing of internal and external funds for financing of various projects under the Ministry.
• Supervision of axle load control and transport safety.
• Human Resources development for Ministry’s Employees at all levels.